The historic University of Alabama campus is 180 years old and ranks among the most beautiful in the country. Buildings on campus date from the 1830’s and have a combined replacement cost totaling more than half a billion dollars.
- There were 4 buildings that survived the Civil War.
Age distribution of our buildings
- 35% are over 50 years old
- 22% are between 25 and 50 years old
- 20% are between 10 and 25 years old
- 23% are under 10 years of age
- 294 buildings containing over 13 million gross sq. ft. of space
- Approximately 1,000 acres
- 10.75 miles of University owned streets
- 3 miles of city owned streets within the campus boundaries
- 2.5 miles of state owned streets
- University owned electrical distribution system
- University owned steam plant with 2 natural gas boilers and distribution system